Pamela’s Pantry, Challenged Chef cookbook #4
½ c. softened butter
¾ c. sugar + more for sprinkling
1 T. molasses
1 T. lemon zest
1 t. vanilla extract
Generous 1 c. flour
¼ t. salt
Scant ½ t. nutmeg
¼ t. baking powder
1 pint summer berries (mix blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or use just one kind)
Cinnamon, for dusting
Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan*.
- Combine butter, sugar and molasses.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and then add lemon zest and vanilla.
- Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg and baking powder.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix until just combined.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Gently fold berries into the batter, then spread batter in pan and sprinkle lightly with more granulated sugar.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until top is golden and cake is cooked through.
- Cool cake on rack.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and confectioners’ sugar.
*I prefer to use the long strudel-type loaf pan pictured.